Are you aware that starting from June 11th, all Irish company directors are required to provide their Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) when:
- Establishing a new company (Form A1)
- Reporting a director change (Form B10, B69)
- Submitting the annual Yearly Return (Form B1)
To prepare for this, Directors need to verify their information with The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP), as the Companies Registration Office (CRO) will validate a director’s PPSN, name, and birth date against the data held by the DEASP.
An 80% match will be acceptable to the CRO, to allow for minor differences in forenames (for instance, Jenny vs Jennifer or Maureen vs Mairin). However, if there is a mismatch in any other part of the information, it will be rejected.
What Should a Director Do If They Don’t Have A PPSN?
- For directors residing in Ireland without a PPSN – they can apply for a PPSN number online via mywelfare.ie. Supporting documents such as proof of address, ID, and a justification for needing a PPSN will be necessary.
- For non-resident directors in Ireland without a PPSN – If the director already has an RBO number (from a prior filing with the Register of Beneficial Owners), this can be used instead of a PPSN. If not, a VIF Form must be submitted to secure a Verification of Identity Number.
Please be assured that the PPSNs will not be disclosed on the Public Register, and the CRO will only hold a hashed* version of the PPSN to prevent identity fraud.
It’s crucial to be prepared for this to prevent any delays in the submission and registration of CRO filings. In the event of a Director change, CRO rejection could delay various issues, including bank account operations.
The late submission of the Annual Return will lead to late fees of €120 + €3 per day until the filing is completed. More critically, if applicable, the company will lose the audit exemption for the next two financial sets filed with their Annual Returns.
If you need help with the new CRO Filing Requirement please reach out to us now. Click here to contact us.